Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Life Changing Trip to India!

On June 8, 2009 I left on an overseas trip that would forever change my life. I had the opportunity to go on an evangelist crusade to Hindupur, India for ten days with my pastor at that time, Jeremy Horton. It has almost been a year since this trip, however, I often think back at all the awesome things God did while I was there. Oh my heart longs to go back someday and I pray that the Lord opens another opportunity to minister there again. So I just thought I would share some of the details of the trip along with some videos and pictures from the trip. I pray that you are blessed and your heart is touched by the power of Jesus Christ.

The following is from my post on a family blog:

The trip was completely amazing to say the least! When I returned home and people asked me how was the trip, all I could say was that it was life changing. I watched Jesus not only change the hearts and lives of the Indian people, but in reflection I see how my own heart was changed. My life was changed in ways that I would have never expected or imagined. I would have to write a book to tell everything that happened, so I will keep this as short as possible with some highlights that mean a lot to me!

The Lord moved in ways that really showed His power but most of all His love! I saw people who where broken in every way imaginable. They were broken emotionally, physically, and spiritually! Their only hope was in Christ Jesus. As we preached and prayed, people would come out of nowhere and call upon the name of Jesus either for salvation or healing! What an amazing site to see!

One night as I was preaching under a light pole, I had no idea that there where people out on the edges in the dark. They were standing behind a building and sitting in “yard” next to where this meeting was being held. See this “church” had no building, but the people met anyway. They sat out in the dark on the ground for roughly 2 hours before we even arrived and worshiped Christ. Then after another 45 minutes of preaching there was an alter call and I was completely humbled. Twelve of those people who where out on the edges, standing behind buildings and in the “yards” came forward and received Christ! Wanda nomalue! That is Praise God in Telegu, which is one of the only phrases I was able to say haha! I have seen the power of God move people before at revivals and at youth camp, but this was different! It was different in that fact that most of these people had never heard the name of Jesus before, and they came down and gave their lives to Him! They stopped believing in the 3000+ gods, yes you heard me right 3000+ gods, and started believing that Jesus is the Son of the Living God! They began to forsake all they had believed. These gods could not fill the void in their hearts, you know, that void that so many people try to fill with everything under the sun. OK… I am starting to Preach Christ! I will save that for another day!

Another thing that the Lord did was He showed me how He hears and answers prayer. It is amazing how He answers them sometimes. I think He does so for many reasons. Sometimes it is just to say I hear you and I love you. Here is a story that happened to Jeremy on our first night in India: These are Jeremy’s own words. “…the first night I experienced the power of God like I have never seen before. When a mother brought me her 10 year old son, I prayed for his need. After I prayed for him, he spoke in his Indian language (Telegu) to Bro. Israel (our Indian pastoral supervisor / translator), and Bro. Israel looked at me and said, ‘Bro. Jeremy, this young man is amazed that you can speak Telegu language. He is telling me that he heard your entire prayer in Telegu.’” However, there is something behind that story that I didn’t share with Jeremy till after that happened. See, before the trip I was thinking about all that might happen while we were in India. I have heard of God doing things on mission trips and I thought how cool it would be if something awesome happened on our trip. I specifically remember thinking, “It would be cool if something like out of Acts chapter 2 would happen, if one of us prayed and they heard us in their language!” Well I believe that God allowed that to happen to say to me, “Jacob, here you go, just because I love you.”

Then there was the night that God literally held back the rains! It was at the outdoor Gospel meeting at Kenwood Baptist church and the worship service had already begun. Jeremy and I were in the church sitting behind the pulpit in prayer and going over what we wanted to say. I looked out the front doors to see the tent swaying and it was getting very dark. As I looked out the window and saw the black clouds rolling in, I knew there was a storm coming. Well… Jeremy and I started praying that it would not rain. We began to pray James 5:16b-17; “The effective, fervent prayer of the righteous man avails much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months.” As we were sitting there, a boy named Joseph heard us praying and walked up to us and said, “Jesus is going to hold back the rain.” Now let me tell you something… this was not him asking if Jesus was, or just saying it in passing… He said it with belief and within minutes the wind died down and there was peace. It did not rain at all during the meeting, but it started raining about an hour after everything was over! Can you say, “Answered prayer?” I can! I believe it was because of Joseph’s faith in Christ that God answered that prayer! I learned a lot from that 13 year old boy! Praise the Lord!

The Lord blessed Jeremy and I by allowing us to both dedicate and name three children during one of the services. Jeremy was approach first to dedicate and name a six month old boy in which he name Samuel. Then I had the honor of naming an 8 month old girl. I could not believe it! The first name that came to my mind was Sarah! I was like Jeremy and did not know what to name her, and he suggested Mary, but Sarah stuck in my mind. No sooner than you could turn around, Bro. Israel came back and said Sarah had a 3 year old sister that was without a name and wanted us to name her too. So Jeremy and I looked at each other and we both knew immediately that her name would be Mary. It was such an honor and blessing to take part of something as special as dedicating and naming a child!

Sarah the baby in pink and Mary is the one in red

The last thing I would like to share is about the children at the orphanage. I think God moved in my life the most through these precious children of God! Don’t get me wrong, I praise God for the 35 people who received Christ as their Savior and for the pastors that we ministered to and encouraged (even though I think I was more encouraged by them than they were by me). However, there was something very special about these children. I saw the true servant’s heart in each one of them. For example, one day we just spent the day with the kids playing games and such. We were out in the field getting hot and sweaty and all of a sudden a couple of kids ran and got us our chairs and made us sit down and rest. Then they brought us water to drink and umbrellas to block the sun. The kids insisted that they hold the umbrellas for us. It was things like this that really touched my heart. They were doing it out of Love for us! Now that is true love! Jeremy and I both wished we could have brought every single one of them home with us. We cried like big babies the last day we were there.


I could go on and on about the many things that happened in India, however it would take forever to type. All I know is that our Lord Jesus is great and showed His power and love in ways that only He can! He is completely amazing! I hope that the Lord blesses you greatly and abundantly!

In His Grip,
Jacob

Below are the videos, enjoy!



This video is some live footage from India


This video is of the children in the orphanage and of the services in the different churches.

This sits on my desk at work. It is a piece of the foundation from the Kenwood Baptist Church in Hindupur, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment