Monday, July 12, 2010

Loving God, Loving People, Serving Both

A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about vision statements and how they are suppose to reflect the ideas and goals of an organization. The vision statement is declaring to everyone their intended purpose. Businesses have them, churches have them, and even people can have a vision statement for their lives. They are not always called vision statements, some might call them the reason they exist or their purpose in life. None the less, vision statements or purpose statements are everywhere. The reason why I was thinking about vision statements is because I have been praying about several ministry opportunities. As I was thinking about ministry in general I began thinking, “What would l like to see as a vision for a ministry?” That led to the next question, “What are some the most important things in a ministry?” Two passages of scripture have come to mind that deal with these questions and vision.

First is Matthew 22:36-40: “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it; Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and Prophets hang on these two commandments.’ (NKJV)

And Matthew 20:28: “That is what the Son of Man has done: He came to serve, not be served.” (The Message)

Both of the passages of scripture are well known to many people. However, how often are they overlooked? I know that I have overlooked both these passages! If you take a look closer to Matthew 22:36-40 you see Jesus saying that all the Law and Prophets hand on these two commandments! It is about loving God with everything and loving people the way God loves them! These commands to love God and people are very special in the eyes of God and people! It is about relationships. It is about developing a relationship with God and with people! God love us and want so badly to have a real relationship with us! When we begin to have a personal relationship with God our love for Him grows deeper! However, it will only get as deep as the amount of time you spend with Him!

As we grow in a relationship with God, our relationships with people will increase. We will start love people more and more! We will start to love them for whom they are, and they are God children. Our relationships will become stronger and more meaningful.

Out of loving God and loving people, comes our serving of both! The way we serve God is to obey His commands! Not of out fear or obligation but out of love. When you greatly love someone, you will want to serve them. It is the same way with God. When we realize what He is doing in our lives, we want to serve Him more. One of the ways we serve God is by serving people which come out of our love for both of them! It is about helping others out of our love from them! It is about meeting needs, sharing in their burdens, and just loving on them. It is about making them feel important because they are important! If loving andserving people was important to Jesus, then it should be important to us!

These two verses can be summed up with this vision statement: Loving God, Loving People, Serving Both! I felt the Lord telling me that this vision is not only my life but for the ministry that He has for me!

Last weekend Smead Community Baptist Church voted on me to serve as their pastor. I am very gracious and humble that they wanted me to be their pastor. It is a huge responsibiity! So all week I have been praying about how the Lord wants me to lead them and I was reminded of the vision that the Lord laid on my heart. So Sunday night I shared this vision with the church! I shared with them that I would love to watch them become a church and a people who are Loving God, Loving People, Serving Both! I want them to fall in love with Jesus Christ, to love people and to serve them both the best they can using the gifts and talents that God the Father have given them! To reach out to the community and share the love of God with the people around them! I believe, by God’s grace and power and through the Holy Spirit, our little church will do some amazing things for the glory of God! Our vision is Loving God, Loving People, Serving Both

So what about you? What is your vision for your life and/or for your ministry? I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject of Vision! Remember Proverbs 29:18 says: "Where there is no vision, the people perish."

May you continue to be “In His Grip!”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacob,

    Nice post here and while I was reading it, it reminded me of what my intent was when I decided to turn to online networking.

    We are blessed with this tool to connect with many all over the world and take this opportunity to touch people's lives too as a ministry.

    Blessings and Aloha to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelly,

    Absolutely! It is all about touching people's lives! Sometimes it is also great to be reminded of why we began something, such as this blog and your online networking. It helps to keep us focused on our vision and purpose!

    Thanks for commenting on this post!

    Remember to stay "In His Grip"

    ReplyDelete