Thursday, July 29, 2010

Is God Just an Acquaintance?

Last week I read a passage of scripture that really rocked my world! The passage of scripture that I read was 1 Chronicles 28:8-10.

"So now, with God as our witness, and in the sight of all Israel—the Lord’s assembly — I give you this charge. Be careful to obey all the commands of the Lord your God, so that you may continue to possess this good land and leave it to your children as a permanent inheritance. "And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind. For the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. So take this seriously. The Lord has chosen you to build a Temple as his sanctuary. Be strong, and do the work." 1 Chronicles 28:8-10 (NLT)

After reading this passage, I sat there in my office with it rolling over and over in my head. There are two parts of this passage that stood out to me. The first is found in verse 9: “Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately.” The second is found in verse 10: “So take this seriously.” I began asking myself this question: What does it meant to “Know God” the way that David is telling Solomon to know God? And to show the importance of this, David tells Solomon to take this seriously! If David, the man after God’s own heart, is telling his son to take it seriously, then I really need to take this seriously also! So after thinking about these verses, I felt convicted about what it means to know Him. Maybe I was missing something. So I began to pray and I asked God what does it mean really mean to know Him? His answer: Go to my Word and I will show you what it means to know Me. So off to His word I went. What I found was completely and utterly amazing! I began studying the passage out by looking up the word “Know” in the original language, and what I found out was astonishing! The word “Know” in Hebrew means to gain knowledge through experience. This seems to indicate that it is more than just a causally meeting of someone. When you have an experience with someone there is something deeper and meaningful than a causally meeting. This is made clear in The New Living Translation when David emphasis to know God intimately. When I think of the word intimately the thoughts of a close and deep relationship come to mind. David tells Solomon that he needs to learn to have a deep and very personal relationship with God. Solomon had knowledge of God. However, it seems like he didn’t have a deep personal relationship with God if David was telling him to learn to know God. It would almost be safe to say that God was more of an acquaintance of Solomon.

There is a major difference in God being an acquaintance of yours and intimately knowing God. Think about it in the terms of a marriage or dating relationship for those of you who aren’t married. How close would you be to your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend if you only talked to them once a week? That the only time you spent time with them was when you need something! Do you really think you would know them very well? Probably not. The reason why you married your spouse or dating someone is because you developed a deep and personal relationship with them. Now this did not happen overnight and it didn’t happen by causally meeting them every once in awhile. It took time to learn about them, right? I believe that is why David told Solomon to learn to know God intimately. David knew what he was talking about! He knew what it meant to know God intimately. He had experienced God in just about every way that I can think of! (Which I will share with you more about later.) God Himself even said that David was a man after His own heart. Now that is saying a lot!

After reading and studying this passage of scripture I examined my relationship with God. I realized that I am so glad that my relationship with Him is more than being acquaintance. I know I am still having a long ways to go in “Knowing” God. But I was so encouraged by my Father! To know the Creator of everything wants to have a deep, personal and intimate relationship with me means everything to me. He is saying that I am special to Him! It encouraged me to seek more of Him, to learn more about him, to experience Him more.

Then the reality of this came to me... How many people out there are like Solomon? I would venture to say that there a lot of people out there whose relationship with God is more of an acquaintance than one of experiencing Him through a deep and personal relationship. How do I know this? First of all, for a long time, God was just an acquaintance of mine! I would meet with Him weekly at church and maybe meet with Him quickly in once or twice a week at best! Secondly, just talking with people about their relationship with Him. I saw something that seemed to be to be missing. The "something" that was missing was knowing Him through experiencing Him, that personal initmate relationship!

Now don’t get me wrong, I am not putting into question anyone’s salvation experience! However, I believe there are a lot of people who met Jesus at the altar, ask Him to forgive them and He has become their savoir! But for a better lack of words, that is where it stops. Christ has become more of an acquaintance to them than anything. They attend church on Sunday, the might even pray or read their Bibles every once in a while but they lack the intimacy of knowing God. When this happens people miss out on something very special, HIM! It is because we were created for an intimate relationship with Him! I hope that it this encourages you to experience Him in a real, intimate and personal way.

After say all that, what is the next thing that comes to mind? Well the answer is: “How do you learn to experience and to know God?” You will have to wait to find out in my next blog! I will share with you how to experience God in a deeper and intimate way later! After all it is how we stay “In His Grip”!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me curious as to what kind of relationship David had with his son Solomon. It is often said that our relationship with our earthly father effects our relationship with our heavenly Father!

    Did Solomon's relationship with his dad hinder or help him to "Know" God? Was David a distant, authoritarian, dominate or controlling dad? Maybe he was caring and loving to Solomon and a very involved dad?

    I think I'll shut the computer down for awhile and spend some time with my daughter so she'll grow up knowing that her earthly and heavenly will always be there for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight Bro! We do know that David had major family problem that was a result of his sins (2 Samuel 12:10). And this more than likely affected Solomon's relationship with both David and the God! This does go to show the importance of the relationship between a father and his children! But not only that, but letting our children see the kind of relationship we have with God!

    I know you are a great dad! keep on loving that lil girl of yours!

    ReplyDelete